The minorities Viz. Muslims, Christians, Sikhs, Buddhists and Parsees constitute 11% of the total population of Andhra Pradesh. The basic problem of minorities is soci-economic and economic backwardness. In order to overcome this problem the government of Andhra Pradesh has formulated few schemes for the educational development of minorities. The Minorities Welfare Department, Government of Andhra Pradesh were kind enough to identify Osmania University as the nodal agency to implement projects for the educational development of minorities in the state. The Osmania University has established the Centre for Educational Development of Minorities at Nizam College in 1994. The Centre is implementing the following three major projects sponsored by the state government since 1994.
i) An integrated project on improving the classroom performance of school children belonging to minorities.
ii) A comprehensive project on improving the participation and performance of minority candidates in admission seeking competitive examinations .
iii) Chamak Scheme: improving the participation and performance of minority candidates in job seeking competitive examinations.
The Centre is established to achieve the following objectives:
1. Educational empowerment of minorities especially the poor and the weak.
2. To instill confidence and provide a level field for poor and weak among the minorities to face competition as equal and reach their goal.
3. To raise the quality of education of the candidates belonging to minority communities.
4. To equip minority candidates to face admission seeking and job seeking competitive examinations through special coaching.
5. To protect and promote the interest of students studying through Urdu medium by providing free coaching and free distribution of reading materials.
6. To provide counseling and career guidance to minority candidates in the area of education and employment.
7. To evaluate the programmes meant for educational development of minorities.
8. To suggest programmes and policy packages for the educational development of minorities.
An integrated project on improving the classroom performance of school children belonging to minorities.
In order to improve the educational standard of minority students particularly the performance of Urdu medium students in SSC Public Examinations the CEDM is providing free coaching for X class in 17 districts of Telangana. The districts covered are Hyderabad, Vikarabad, Medchal, Rangareddy, Adilabad, Nirmal, Karimnagar, Jagtial, Peddapalli, Mahbubnagar, Sangareddy, Siddipet, Nalgonda, Suryapet, Kamareddy and Warangal.
A comprehensive project on improving the participation and performance of minority candidates in admission seeking competitive examinations.
Free coaching for Job seeking courses
Prof. S. A. Shukoor
D I R E C T O R